MonstIR #1 Installation Step 2.5 - Eureka It Works
Don't get too excited.. it's not done
yet but..I'll explain what Works below
... More Pictures at:
and I have updated the entire project at
So that you all don't hold your breath too
long......here is the latest update...
if you have been reading the press you
will see that we have been having a great deal of rain... which is unusual for
San Diego where it never rains... or so we tell the tourists.... With the
various construction projects around our house, we have had to run a sump pump
to keep the torrents of mud from flooding our house...Needless to say,
disaster management has taken precedence over wiring harnesses.... In
fact the rain and thunder and lightning ( I was not planning on any
lightning protection for the tower as this was the first lightning storm in
several years) was so intense and so unusual that my terrified soaking wet dog
has been hiding underneath my workbench all day and all nite....
After I got the borrowed sump pumps
going.. I went back to work on my wring harness... I finally completed the
wiring of the director element and eagerly wanted to test it out... As
luck would have it, Mike Mertel has finally sent me a SteppiR controller
unit... This is an interim unit as they are finalizing the software for 40 M
but it gives me something to play with...
I must say for a nerd like me, the
controller is a really cool device with all kinds of cool flashing lites on
it...This unit is rather special as it has 40M and 30M control positions which
you do not find on regular SteppIR's. Like all nerds, I never read the
manual before I push all the buttons.. so it was lots of fun to try to figure
out all the menus .. which are actually rather self explanatory...
Anyways I hooked up the Driver motor to
the controller using the DB -25 Male connector on the Cable Harness.. Power it
on and buzz.. buzz... out shot the Metal Strips... which I don't think they
were supposed to do... until they are actually mounted into the fiberglass
guideways... And the metal strips really shoot out quite fast....
I then went to TEST MODE... so that I
could make sure I had wired it correctly.. I cycled to the Director and out
shot the metal strips again... So Eureka it works!... It was wired
One thing I found a bit disconcerting is
the Test Mode is only supposed to shoot the strips out a couple of inches..
but they seem to go out quite a distance... I need to call the factory
I have posted several pictures of the
parts, the heavy aluminum element trusses, the controller and the
construction of the Harness...
Oh! By the way, go my new vanity
call sign today... KY6LA